This Area Specialist will be assigned to the Pennyroyal Farm Analysis Association with the Kentucky Farm Business Management Program (KFBM) in Hopkinsville, KY. The Specialist will work with approximately 50 farmer-cooperators for 90% of his/her professional time. Principal responsibility is to provide farm financial record analysis and objective farm management counseling to farmer cooperators.
Under the leadership of the KFBM State Coordinator and in collaboration with other faculty, the Specialist will assist in state-wide analysis of farm financial data collected from farmer-cooperators for applied research, enterprise analysis, and other studies.
The Specialist will allocate 10% of professional time to collaborate with other faculty, county agricultural agents, and farm-related agencies to develop farm management educational programs for individuals outside of the Association. This could include financial management, tax strategies, farm planning, enterprise analysis, record-keeping, estate planning, and other topics. Programs may
include meetings, articles, spreadsheet aids, and other means. The Specialist will be expected to develop a brief written plan of general extension work. This will include input from County Agents, District Directors, the Department's State Specialists, and cooperators.
Area Specialists in Farm Management are evaluated on 1) input from Association Board members and farmer-cooperators;
2) Submission of usable farm analysis data;
3) The Association's membership and financial viability;
4) Effectiveness of the farm management extension programming with county agents and other Specialists;
5) Coordination of professional work with the KFBM State Coordinator, other Farm Management Specialists, and the Area Program Director
6) Collaboration with faculty and staff in the Agricultural Economics Department.